I love books like Leslie Knope loves government bureaucracy.

(I am now at CMC Editorial Services-- same kind of posts, more serious title!)

Monday, January 19, 2015

Your Fave Could Never: Texts From Jane Eyre

After reading some very disturbing short stories for my South Asian Lit class, I took a break and started Texts From Jane Eyre. I was not disappointed.



Usually I get really defensive when people make fun of my favorite books, but in this case, I couldn’t stop laughing. Mallory Ortberg clearly loves the books she’s spoofing, which definitely adds to the flavor and voice of the book. Even though I hadn’t read every novel she covered, I was still amused by every one of them. Part of what made it enjoyable was that she was making fun of the White Male Canon, showing the weaknesses of the characters that some people consider the do-all, end-all of literature. As Ortberg puts it, “The canon is just brimming with so many wonderful, selfish assholes.”

From the Pride and Prejudice chapter, which made my roommate laugh so hard she cried.
One of the weaker parts of the book, I felt, was that a lot of the chapters seemed like they had the same voice. Maybe I can chalk that up to the fact that I breezed through the book (though it’s a nice size, the large font and layout mean it’s actually not as long as I’d thought when I bought it), but it seemed like a lot of the humor lay in USING ALL CAPS for multiple characters, and for one side of the conversation to be the “crazy” lead character talking to the dry, witty side character.

That being said, I love this book and I’m recommending it to anyone who wants a comfortable read about books they love.


4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment