I love books like Leslie Knope loves government bureaucracy.

(I am now at CMC Editorial Services-- same kind of posts, more serious title!)

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

This weekend, I was completely without wifi and access to the internet (okay, I had some access. But I only used it for emails.), so I had plenty of time to catch up on some reading. I’m still slowly but surely making my way through A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, which is amazing, but to give myself something new to work on, I read Persepolis, which I’d heard a lot of good things about.



In the past I haven’t been super into graphic novels, for whatever reason, but I’ve been starting to get into them. I’m glad this one was one of the first I read, because it set the bar pretty high; it was both funny and educational, without being super preachy.
               
The rundown: This is Marjane Strapi’s first of four autobiographical graphic novels (and there are more in the works) about growing up in Iran through several years of the Islamic Revolution. It juxtaposes the tension and fear during those years with downright funny anecdotes of her younger years, stories everyone will recognize in themselves. There are stories like the time she got pulled over by the women’s branch of the Guardians of the Revolution:


Or the time she went protesting with her parents:



All of which give a great insight into the events which were happening at the time (and now) as well as the life of a relatable young girl.

I highly recommend this to any level of reader; even though for some younger readers it might be difficult to completely wrap their minds around some of the political events that went by so quickly at the beginning of the novel (I even had a little trouble), I don’t think it in any way impedes the essence of the book or the messages it portrays.


Definitely going to pick up the sequels. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment