I love books like Leslie Knope loves government bureaucracy.

(I am now at CMC Editorial Services-- same kind of posts, more serious title!)

Monday, April 6, 2015

Balancing Bookloads: Tricks to Navigate Your Book Piles

It’s fun being an English major. I get to read and talk about books with other people who love them just as much as I do. I’ve gotten to find out a ton about my own reading habits and likes/dislikes, just from reading the assigned novels from class.

On the other hand, though, it’s tough to juggle reading for class and reading for fun. Sure, reading for class can be interesting, but I’ve also got a “to-read” pile that’s taller than I am (and climbing). Although I’ve never been someone who minded reading several books at once (in fact, I prefer it), sometimes there’s just not enough time in the day to get all of it done.

So how do keep up with fun reading while still balancing schoolwork (especially if you’re majoring in a reading-heavy curriculum like English)? These are the tricks I’ve used to navigate the sea of books I have to read:  


Short books
There are, like, no pictures of this book cover online.

This one’s probably pretty obvious, but since a lot of my assigned readings are longer, I’ve stuck to the shorter books when I’m crunched for time. Little novels (or novels with bigger text) are great for a quick, relaxing read without the stress of balancing more than one book at a time. I’d recommend something like Texts from Jane Eyre, or maybe even a collection of short stories or poems.











Books about subjects I’m interested in

Again, this one is obvious. But sometimes I’ll read a book because someone recommended it, or because I think I should read it, and it takes longer than I think it should, or I put it down and never go back to it. I’ve started saving books like that for periods of time when I don’t have a lot of work to do (so… summer…), and instead I focus on the books I know will hold my interest. For me, this is anything from YA novels that have just come out (lookin’ at you, Allegiant), or historical fiction books that I’ve been waiting to read. One such book that I recently finished was The Glass Castle, which I highly recommend. It's kind of sad, though. Which leads me to...






Fun books

DUH, you say. CLEARLY when I’m reading for fun I want a FUN BOOK. But here’s the thing: a lot of times you start reading only to find that there’s way deeper stuff happening in the book than it says on the dust jacket. That’s awesome. That is, in fact, what you expect to happen. Sometimes, though, you don't want angsty-stuff weighing down your spirits. So instead, read the books that you know won’t have any angst, books that will give your overworked brain a break. Think Bossypants. Think Hyperbole and a Half. Stuff like that.









Relevant books

Remember me?
Still in school? Try looking for books that are relevant to whatever you’re talking about in class. Once you’ve gotten into the mindset of a certain theme or topic, it’s sometimes easier to read a book along those lines. Take me and the perfect, incomparable novel The God of Small Things, for example. Then again, you might just want to give your brain a break and read something unrelated to your life, like Gone Girl. At least, I hope Gone Girl isn’t related to your life.  








Books I’ve already read


Can't stop won't stop. 
I’m a monster about re-reading, which my grandma is oh-so-quick to point out every time she visits and I've got the same book in my hands. Sure, I’ve got that ever-growing to-read list on Goodreads, but I’m gonna revisit my $1 paperback copy of Cheaper by the Dozen anyway. Sometimes, the only way to unwind is to pick up an old favorite that you know is gonna make you feel better. Embrace that feeling. Revel in it. And then go buy and read a copy of The God of Small Things, because seriously, guys, that book is friggin’ amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment